About Stonington

The town of Stonington was once part of the town of Deer Isle.  At that time it was known as Green's Landing.  It was incorporated by the Maine Legislature as the town of Stonington on February 18, 1897.  The granite quarries dominated the scene from 1869 through the 1930s.  Today Stonington is a major lobstering town.

MainSt-.jpg


A website of the Deer Isle-Stonington Historical Society